In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in all things, charity.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

...the rest of the story...

Perhaps you recognize the phrase, trademark of American radio legend Paul Harvey. I may borrow it for a theme of some of my posts in the future. Have you ever noticed that there is "more to the story" when it comes to popular Bible verses? Some of our favorites are not even complete thoughts and it is worthwhile looking around for, well, the rest
of the story! We could learn a great deal from doing this. Here's my first example, from Revelation 3:

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.

 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

We hear v.20 all the time, but v.19 reminds us that Jesus isn't all sunshine and lollipops, gently knocking on the doors to our hearts. He often has to straighten us out [read about lukewarm followers before that verse]. He continues afterward with a promise to those who overcome-and by implication, something NOT promised to those who do not overcome.  May you hear what the Spirit says-to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment